How it all Began
St. James Episcopal Church in Dillon was established in 1881, eight years before Montana was admitted to the Union. The Territory of Montana was established territory of United States that existed from May 26, 1864 on November 8, 1889. Montana was then admitted as the 41st state in the Union.
In 1890, St. James was physically moved from a smaller piece of land about a block away to its present-day location on East Glendale Street. Several times over the years, the church has been enlarged and expanded, including the construction of the Guild Hall with rooms for meetings and classes.
The first large stained-glass window was installed about the alter, a depiction of Christ in the Garden of Gethsemane. Eight more large stained-glass windows were added over the years, along with many smaller ones.
St. James marks over 140 years of Episcopal ministry in Beaverhead County.